Baby Bump

Tuesday, February 18

Expectations vs. reality: Part 1

Before I was pregnant I had these thoughts and expectations about how my pregnancy would be. How I was going to do things different than other people, or how I would incorporate certain things I had read or heard. I think everyone does it to some degree, but I think we especially have these expectations as first time mothers. I'm not even going to go into my expectations about motherhood itself! I know for a fact they'll get blown out of the water those first few minutes our sweet boy is here. For now I want to share with you my three biggest expectations I had and how they've played out so far.

Expectation #1 "I'm going to eat so differently when I'm pregnant, I'll be so much healthier. It'll be easy since I've got another life to think about"
Reality-Dream on! If I thought I had any control over what sounded appetizing for my 10:00 snack then I would totally be munching on some carrots. However, when the only thing you want is something sweet, salty, and chewy all at the same time you better believe you're going to find the perfect treat to get you through your time of starvation. I have found ways to eat less candy and chocolate throughout the day by substituting peanut butter oatmeal bars or certain dry cereal for peanut butter cups and chips. But sometimes nothing will do but a delicious m&m mix from Braums or a Nutella roll up.

Expectation #2 "I'm never going to drink caffeine or artificially colored drinks. I'm not poisoning my baby with all of those chemicals."
Reality-  Now, I've never been the type of person who drinks soda daily and I can't stand coffee, so that's not part of my battle. I thought it would be easy to give up my weekly soda knowing I had a tiny human growing inside of me. Between the headaches and exhaustion of not sleeping well (and having to see 120 students each day) there are some days that I absolutely wouldn't be able to make it through without that delicious, dark drink from above. Judge me all you want, but I did my research 
and I know just how much Dr. Pepper I can safely have each day.

Expectation #3 "I'm going to exercise and stay active throughout my pregnancy. I might even be able to wear my regular pants with the help of a hair tie or bellaband we'll into this adventure."
Reality- I bought 5 pound weights, I used them a couple of days, and now they sit in the basket where we keep Josie's dog toys. I created a list of 5 easy exercises I found on line to do throughout your pregnancy and I did them maybe a week... and by week I mean work week...and by work week I mean one where you have a national holiday or take a sick day on Friday or something else prevents you from completing your full 5 days at work. I do try to walk about 20 minutes 3 times a week at school before my classes start, and I hope I can start taking Josie for more walks once the weather gets nicer. But on days like today, when my feet hurt so bad I didn't think I could make it out of the building and to my car, working out was not at the top of my list of things to do. My first trimester also kicked my butt and it was everything I could do to make it through teaching a full day, let alone be active after work. So this, paired with cold weather, no morning sickness, and craving any type of baked good/pastry has not helped me in the least stay in my normal pants. I said farewell to those four months ago! I have embraced the beauty of maternity pants and tights. Praise The Lord for stretchy pants. 

4 comments:

  1. Awe. :) This is so true! Luckily things get a little easier once the little bundle is out of your body and you don't have to struggle with the guilt of eating whatever you want. Unfortunately once they stop sleeping 90% of the time you still don't have much time to cook healthy meals or exercise, but it is possible!! You are doing an amazing job getting your little guy here and you will be a great momma to him once he does arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I just want him to be healthy when he gets here and I keep thinking I'm going to give him diabetes or something! Haha

      Delete
  2. You are seriously the cutest little pregnant lady ever!

    ReplyDelete