Baby Bump

Thursday, December 29

Thoughtful Thursday- New Years Resolutions

I looked up the definition of resolution just so I knew exactly what I was getting myself into this year.

RESOLUTION: Firm decision to do or not to do something.

Well there ya go. plain and simple.

The word that startles me is "firm"... a firm decision. Great, now I feel even more pressure to make these resolutions phenomenal. I know what you're thinking, "Why make resolutions at all then? Why stress yourself out about it? Besides it's quite cheesy." Well ladies and gentlemen, you see I'm definitely the kind of person who strives off of lists and goals and marking one things off and seeing how much I can get done in my day. Some might find it exhausting (some days it can be quite the curse.) However, I find it exhilarating! I love, and I mean LOVE being productive.

But like I said, it can be a curse which is why my number one resolution (firm decision) this year is to stop planning so much. "WHA?!?!" That's right. It's going to take a lot of hard work on my part but I'm kind of tired of having my days so packed full of chores and to-do's that it leaves no room for me and Steven to have adventures. I'm still going to have things I would like to get done during the week but if laundry doesn't get done on a Monday because we wanted to go to the bookstore, then so be it! I'm a planner and organizer at heart and that will never change, but I still need to find some time to do fun things with life.

Resolution numero dos: Get Healthy. This one is probably on a lot of people's lists right now after we've gorged ourselves on all the cake, fudge, turkey, candy we could find. But in all seriousness healthy-ness will happen this year (hopefully). Working in an office, sitting all day means I don't need as many calories as I think. I don't need those extra pieces of chocolate after lunch or an extra bag of cheeze-its just because I'm bored. Boredom is my worst enemy, along with my love of how food tastes. I'm a foodie, but I need to set my sights on more fruits and veggies and things from the earth rather than things in packages and bags. Eating packaged food is actually a new habit since I got an office job (And possibly not loving it and being as happy as I think I could be has played a role in this.)

Number 3: Teach art to someone...somewhere. I really, really need for this to happen. In order to have the life I've imagined for myself I need to actually start doing something. I have a plan right now for the summer and hopefully it will be in full swing this June... as long as I don't chicken out. But a lot can happen in 6 months, so we'll see!

Resolution #4: Focus on making art I like. I have this very utilitarianism way of thinking. Everything must serve a functional purpose. I'm this way with things I buy for the house or things I buy to wear and unfortunately the way I make art. If I don't think I'm going to sell it or hang it in my house then why bother with making it? I'd just end up with a huge pile of artwork and nothing to do with it. What a sad way of thinking! Especially with something I love! So I'm going to work on not focusing about the materials I'm "wasting" but on the experience and skill I'm gaining. I've honestly been too scared to really let myself explore and see what I can do because what if I suck?! Haha But I think I'm ready.

Last but not least, resolution number 5: Plan my 1st years worth of teaching curriculum. Just thinking about this gets me all warm and fuzzy inside. Although, it might be a little tricky in the sense that I actually have no idea what grade level I'll be teaching when I do in fact get a job. I'll just have to plan for elementary, middle school, high school, and then a combination of middle and high school. This will take quite a bit of organization on my part, but luckily I'm pretty good at that :) I just figured I might as well be prepared to to teach if I actually think that's what's going to happen with my life. It's like praying for rain without carrying an umbrella. Just downright silly! I've got a good list of what I think I want to teach I just have to find a way that they all build on each other and fit into grade levels and all that jazz. I'm really excited to be prepared for the next step of my life!

I'm declaring this year for me. Not in a way where everyone else must pay attention to me and focus on me and give me what I want (I did just graduate and have a wedding, I think I've ran out of attention for now.) I'm declaring this year for me because I'm ready to start focusing and actually working towards the things I want in my life. The way I want my life to look and feel with my art and my husband and our families. I've done A LOT of soul searching since we got married and started our "grown up" lives and I have loved learning about what I want and figuring out how I need to make things happen. Growing up can be really exciting if you want to work for it and I think I'm ready!


I would LOVE to hear about some of your new years resolutions! This is such an exciting time to me and I'd love to know how you guys are going to be making 2012 amazing!



Happy New Years!
Love-Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment